“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
—Daniel J. Boorstin

Settled science: ‘The Cause’ has seven excuses for ‘The Pause’

spinnerParaphrasing Andrew S Tanenbaum, the nice thing about warmist excuses is that you have so many to choose from.

The science is so settled that ‘the Cause’ has at least seven different explanations for ‘the Pause’. And of course, they all studiously avoid the obvious answer: that the climate’s actual sensitivity to increasing CO2 is less than the warmists want it to be.

So here we present the Seven Excuses of the Cause:

Excuse 1 – Low Solar Activity

We all know, from the IPCC down, that high solar activity had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with late 20th century warming. How ridiculous to suggest such a thing! But oddly, low solar activity can be invoked as a reason for a sudden stop in that warming. Go figure.

Excuse 2 – Ocean heat

Ah yes, the old ‘dog ate my warming’ excuse. The oceans have mysteriously sucked all the heat out of the atmosphere and have hidden it deep down, conveniently where nobody can measure it. This makes perfect sense, as everybody knows that in order to heat up a cold bath, all we need to do is turn the fan heater on in the bathroom, right?

Excuse 3 – Coal burning in China

Burning coal has added more particulates to the atmosphere, which has reduced insolation and therefore reduced warming. So burning coal good because it stops global warming, but er, burning coal bad because it causes global warming… ouch, my head hurts.

Excuse 4 – Montreal Protocol

The ‘success’ of the Montreal Protocol in reducing CFCs in the atmosphere, themselves greenhouse gases, is the reason why the planet is not warming as fast. At least it achieved something, then, because the Ozone Hole is still there. But David Karoly says CFCs are a far smaller component of warming than CO2… oh dear, another quandary.

Excuse 5 – Pause? What pause?

The Wilful Blindness excuse. Rather than actually work out why the pause has occurred, it’s much easier just to disappear it (a la Medieval Warm Period) by miraculously cooling the past and pretending that warming is continuing exactly the same, or even better, accelerating. I mean, GISS do it all the time, so who will notice?

Excuse 6 – Volcanoes, not pollution

Please forget you just read Excuse 3 above. It’s the volcanoes what done it.

Excuse 7 – Stratospheric water vapour

Please forget you just read all of the above excuses. It’s this one. No, really. Or all of them. Whatever. Just give us more money.

Thanks to Marc Morano, who has all the links over at the ‘Depot.

Source

Pin it

Comments

# Danny Heim 2014-01-17 11:16
Um, why's the ice melting, um, why are species in decline, um, why are ecosystems going bad, um, why is the sea rising, um, why can't Africa fix it's food problem, um, why is the jet stream acting so weird, um, why are coral reefs dying, um, why is the ocean warming, why are pine beetles going nuts, um, why is there rapidly increasing desertification, um, why do 97% of scientist agree there's warming, um, why are building foundations all over the globe going bad, um, why are butterflies declining so fast, um, why is Australia repeatedly breaking heatwave records, um did you know that these things I mention here are just off the top of my head? If I were to go and actually get a list you'd be reading for the next hour.
# Tez 2014-01-17 14:17
Danny, whatever is behind those things you claim, it is not Global Warming. Global Warming stopped over 16 years ago.

If you don't believe it has stopped you could go and look at the temperature data in the latest IPCC report. :D
# Gator 2014-01-17 14:45
Why can't Danny learn? :lol:

Why does Danny parrot refuted claims?

Why would anyone care?
# prestigio 2014-01-17 14:59
i have a better question

why is danny lying
# Wayne 2014-01-17 17:22
Poor ole Danny boy. I don't really think he is lying. Brainwashed maybe. They say the hardest part of removing someone from a cult is convincing them that they are in a cult in the first place. It's difficult for those who worship at this alter of climate change to hear others point out it's major failings. Rip's their guts out so much they begin talking gibberish as in post #1 Um....
# Danny Heim 2014-01-17 17:27
I'm telling ya, there's nobody, I mean nobody, has better quips than you guys, you are kings of slam, congrads.
# Gator 2014-01-17 17:45
Danny, we have been through this ad nauseum. There is nothing unusual or unprecedented about our climate or how we got here. There is still not a single peer reviewed paper that refutes natural variability. What is your problem? :lol:
# Me 2014-01-17 20:50
Gator, I'm waiting for Harry Hammer to show up for the Trifecta! And the Rub-a-dub-dub in their bathtub err whatever site they claimed.
# squidly 2014-01-18 00:41
Umm, Danny, tell us which of those 7 you believe to be the cause of the "pause" ... waiting ...
# anne 2014-01-18 11:47
Danny, honest it's not warming, I am so sorry to tell you and don't want to worry you but it's the hot air you keep spouting around yourself, chill out Dan!!!
# Danny Heim 2014-01-18 12:03
Anne--Yip, I gotta a throw you gals in there too, you really are good slammers, congrads to you as well. In fact your slam was the best thus far, march on.
# Robert 2014-01-18 13:15
Quoting Danny Heim:

Good job, now how about listing some things that are actually true. Please do get a list Danny because using a filter of what is actually happening on your list would result in our only having to read it for 1 or 2 seconds if that.

By all means continue with the theatrics and exaggerations, it just makes you look more foolish.

Now I have physics homework to deal with and a real job where we create reliable power to go to so would you be so kind as to stop wasting my time with foolishness?
# Me 2014-01-18 16:10
Robert positive reinforcement of Good Job doesn't phase on them, they will continue with their destruction and in their minds a reconstruction of how they see things no matter of what is put forth. It won't end until their funding is gone and then they will move on.
# Danny Heim 2014-01-18 19:15
Hope your right Robert, I know I'd much rather take the hit of being a fool than chance catastrophic events passed on to my grandchildren. It's good life we have, but I don't feel it's worth the chance if that, perhaps you all do, and believe it or not I can no longer hold that against you. A person sees things how they see them. I really don't believe the cult aspect to this issue, I could put that back at you as easily as you put it on me, no need for that. This is as far as personal things would screen to scree we talking together, no need for shots really, but I say have a ball when speaking in general, let your slams fly. You have your passion behind what you perceive and I have mine, enjoy it.
# Wayne 2014-01-18 21:29
Oooohhh Danny....your the nicest warmist I know.
# Me 2014-01-18 22:03
Baaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahaha haaaahahahahahahahahahahhaaaaa a. yout kidding right? Bwaaaaaahahahahahaha! :lol: :lol: :lol:
# Joker 2014-01-20 06:05
Quoting Danny Heim:

Yep play the emotive shmaltzy grandchildren angle.

Listen Dan, I can guarantee you that your grandchildren and their children's children will look back at this period in history and laugh their socks of at the stupidity, they will regard the warmists and climate alarmists who thought they could change the weather as a bunch of dicks.

Since when did you ever castigate your forefathers eh?
# Danny Heim 2014-01-20 09:09
Yeah OK I can accept that, I am very willing to be viewed that way, and as it stands right now in the present, you must be willing to be viewed similarly as well, see? It's as important to you as it is to me, so what's a guy gonna do about that? Anymore, and after many miles of arguing, I gotta say...so what? For you, you're pissed cuz of the disruption of dealing with supposed climate change and it makes you crazy and it's understandable when you don't believe it, for me, I'm pissed cuz we don't deal with supposed climate change and it's understandable when you do believe it, either way, we both got something to complain about, it's quite a thing. And anymore again, that becomes almost as big a worry to me as CC itself, the division among the people that is, it's seems so ridiculousness and I wonder why, don't you? Oh sure there is the meat of the argument and it is hot meat to boot, but jezzamechristmas, look at the division, it's amazing. Well, I could go on and on, hopefully you see what I mean. There's probably nothing to be done about it so hopefully it won't get any worse.
# Robert 2014-01-20 10:58
Sorry Danny, but once again you get it wrong.

You see, we are pissed because people like you want to spend money to do something about climate change when that something isn't going to accomplish anything but spending money.

Big difference but I suspect it's over your head. The division is between that of people who see things realistically and those, like you, that will buy any line of b.s. fed to them if the person selling it has a fancy title or pulls the appropriate emotional strings.

It will get worse because those pulling the strings want more useful idiots like you since you've pretty much handed your life over to them on a platter.

So continue with another of your ramblings, you aren't observant enough to get it that no one here buys your b.s. but we do understand you need the attention.
# Danny Heim 2014-01-20 11:24
Robert-- I haven't gotten anything wrong. I understand that you are "pissed because people like you want to spend money to do something about climate change when that something isn't going to accomplish anything but spending money."

and that

"We on the other hand would like to see that money go to feeding people, improving their quality of life, addressing diseases, things we actually can do something about."

And why did you find it necessary to put this in:

"Big difference but I suspect it's over your head."

This certainly is not over my head, it's very understandable, your being pissed that is, can't you see it's the same for me. What's with the slam? And then you go on slamming, you were doing so good in your comment to that point, then you turn it into slams, what is that about?Yeah sure you're pissed, well, so am I, are you or I getting anywhere by calling each other idiots? Do you want to see resolve on this subject? You won't get it this way Robert, neither will I.
# Gator 2014-01-20 11:32
"This certainly is not over my head, it's very understandable, your being pissed that is, can't you see it's the same for me."

Apparently Danny is pissed because he wants more children to suffer from disease and starvation.
# Danny Heim 2014-01-20 11:50
And Gator, you got it bad man, I mean bad. Sorry for you, I think your hopeless on this. Robert might have hope. You? You are gone. Is that a slam? You bet it is. there are people in this debate, on both sides, who need to be slammed, you gator, are one of them, sorry dude. I won't slam you on the subject, but I'd say you are the most misguided person n this debate and it's all from your anger. Get a grip dude.
# Gator 2014-01-20 11:56
:lol:

So what exactly do I have 'bad' Danny old fool? Wanting to actually help my fellow man instead of chasing windmills? :lol:

Go lobby for more dead children.

What a maroon!
# Danny Heim 2014-01-20 12:16
You know someday I'm going to come here and you all are going to be ready to talk, some of you anyway. When that happens, I doubt we'll agree on things, we'll debate, argue, all that, but at least we'll have been civil and hold respect for each others opinion. But with what's happening at preset it is a travesty. See, believe it or not, I do respect your opinion, that's all I'm saying. Should be simple enough.
# Gator 2014-01-20 12:26
No Danny, you do not respect our opinions. You come here and bloviate for your own gratification. I used the Don Quixote reference, because like him, you are a self absorbed narcissist who cares not about the suffering of others.

Now go steal more medicine and food from the mouths of the innocent children of the world.
# Joker 2014-01-20 16:08
Danny, one thing that escapes you is that most skeptics of Global Warming were once totally convinced, Me for one, I was 100% certain of it, I heard about Global Warming in the 1980s, but I started to dig in the 1990s, and found out about for what it really is.

Most skeptics were once warmists, always remember that.

Take care fella, we don't hate you, honest, and again that's the difference between us and most of the alarmists, they hate our guts, I've had stuff pushed through my letterbox, I've had threats, car vandalised etc etc.

I would never dream of acting like that against anyone.
# Danny Heim 2014-01-20 16:27
thanks Joker, Yeah I've heard that story many times, both ways. In fact, it happened to me. I was a skeptic the first year I heard about it, then in '92 I changed my mind. Hey, that's what freedom is, the right t change your mind, I respect that.

Thanks for your other part in the comment also. But you Know Joker, that is how you feel and I feel similarly, but I am sure you know that the hate stuff comes from both sides, and it's an entirely separate thing from the issue, many issues actually. I know I make a big deal of it, but I think it is a big deal. How the hell we gonna get anything done if all we do is bite and scratch, it's nuts. I mean let's settle the damn thing. I know that sounds oversimple, but in the end, that's what we're gonna do, let's get on with it. Enough of the childish games. I wanna be able to talk to a skeptic without having to put up with ten miles of slams, goes nowhere, know what I mean? I know it's very difficult to get a handle on, but that handle better come quick, because if you guys are right, then we're wasting a lot of time and money and if I'm right, then we are taking a huge risk, and all this bickering ain't getin' us any conclusions.
# Me 2014-01-20 16:37
Yeah Danny I doubt you were ever a Skeptic, you are a warmist to the end.
# Danny Heim 2014-01-20 16:45
Me--If you really think that, then I am not surprised at the outcomes I experience here. I'm sure you've experienced it as well from warmist. No, you assumed wrong, I was a skeptic the first year, sorry. Can we move on?
# Me 2014-01-20 16:52
Yep, and you know why, and again I serriously doubt you ever were a Skeptic.
# Robert 2014-01-20 16:55
Quoting Danny Heim:
Can we move on?

Are you leaving? Then the answer is yes we can move on.

Are we going to have to suffer through more of your delusional verbal diarrhea? Then, thanks to your need for attention, no we can't.
# Me 2014-01-20 17:00
Tis funny how Drewski disappears and Danny boy shows up, Like I said before waiting for Harry Hammer to show up for the trifecta! :lol:
# Danny Heim 2014-01-20 17:35
Oh c'mon Robert, you're not suffering a thing, you are enjoying this, another aspect to the communication problem that exist in this debate, we enjoy the bickering, ain't it? It really shouldn't be all that hard to be honest about, it's so obvious it ain't funny. Now look, if you are going to come back with you ain't having a good time with me here, then I tell you what, I'll just stop on this thread, OK? think I'm ready anyway, we'll see.
# Me 2014-01-20 17:39
Yeah Danny boy, tis funny now you want debate? Got to keep that snake oil salesman foot in the door to keep it open! :lol: Didn't you say it's settled and there was a consensus 97% or something?
# Danny Heim 2014-01-20 17:44
Are you afraid to debate sensibly Me, or is it just not as fun? ...thought so.

OK, see you all later, we'll try again another time, good luck.
# Me 2014-01-20 17:46
Sorry old chap, Danny, But that time has come and gone, no more moving the goal post no more compromise, prove your point or not and be gone. If your pension plans have been invested into something or you invested your fortunes into this, it’s not our fault it’s yours.
# Me 2014-01-20 17:48
Yeah Danny play the victom like always, good luck with that!
# Me 2014-01-20 17:49
victim! ;-)
# Me 2014-01-20 17:56
They didn't show any quarter when they had the upper hand in their circle, now they don't have the facts to back up what they said and all their predictions and models failed they are playing the game of sympathy! How many people did they get fired over their BS? And now they look for sympathy and debate?
# prestigio 2014-01-20 20:19
the real name of
danny boy

is

london derriere
# amirlach 2014-01-20 21:13
None of your claims are real Danny. Your completely FOS. Coming here with BS claims and your leftist self loathing and emotional appeals will never work. We look at the data facts. It simply does not in any way support the AGW "Theory".Quote:
The biggest catastrophic event you could pass onto your "grandchildren" would be Global Socialism. Seeing this is the "Stated Goal" of the IPCC and many alarmists, you should be very concerned.

Failed socialist experiments killed over 264 Million people last century alone. Most of them the most vulnerable members of society. The very young and the very old. Which if the IPCC succeds will be YOU and your Grandchildren.

Socialist "Theory" has been tested by observation and has failed every where and every time it has been tried. The evidence is empirical and irrefutable.

It's "usefull" idiots like your self who are enabling it.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote | Report to administrator

Before posting a comment, please read the Terms of Service (click here). PLEASE report all SPAM/inappropriate comments using the 'Report to administrator' link. If you find your post gone, it's because you violated the TOS.

Security code